V. EXPERIENCING THE TWO ASPECTS
BY CALLING ON THE LORD
[Today we need to learn to call upon the name of the Lord. I am heavily burdened to impress you with the need of calling. Throughout the centuries, Satan has shut the mouths of so many Christians. If you call on the name of the Lord Jesus all day long, you will be saturated, permeated, and soaked with the Spirit, and the power poured out from on high will be your portion. There is no need for me to convince you of this. Check your past experience. Often when you found yourself in trouble, you called on the name of the Lord. We all have some amount of experience. Usually we did not call on the Lord. We simply did not like calling on His name. Therefore, the Lord sent us some difficulty to help us or even force us to call on Him. When the troubles came, we spontaneously called out, "O Lord Jesus." Perhaps we did not call in a very pleasant way. Nevertheless, we called and we received breath, strengthening, and refreshment. I want to impress you that the secret of experiencing the inward aspect and the outward aspect of this wonderful Spirit is simply to call again and again. After you call, you will pray. Then you will call more and pray more. Eventually, it will be difficult to tell whether you are experiencing the inward aspect or the outward aspect. Then you will be filled with refreshment, and outwardly you will be released. You will have the power, the boldness, the assurance, and the faith to speak strongly. You will not have any doubts whatever. The way to experience this wonderful Spirit is by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus. Be simple and call on the name of the Lord.]
There are two aspects of the Spirit: essential and economical. The essential is for life inwardly, and the economical is for power outwardly. The outward power is for the inward life. The outward aspect is mostly included in the baptism in the Holy Spirit, which was accomplished upon the Body once for all on the Day of Pentecost and in the house of Cornelius. We received the Holy Spirit essentially and economically in a normal way through our believing into Christ. We do not need to speak in tongues or seek feelings or signs. We can experience both aspects simply by calling on the Lord.
- What are the two aspects of the Holy Spirit? How do they relate to each other?
- How can we see the two aspects of the Spirit in the life and ministry of the Lord Jesus.
- Name the five historical cases of the outpouring of the Spirit recorded in Acts. How do the first two cases differ from the other three?
- What is the normal way for a believer to receive the Spirit essentially and economically?
- What is a strong proof showing that the tongue-speaking in Acts was an understandable language?
- What is a simple way to experience the inward and outward aspect of the Spirit?
Quoted Portions from (Lee/LSM) Publications
- Life-study of Mark, pp. 565-567.
- Life-study of Acts, p. 52.
- Life-study of Mark, p. 570.
- The Baptism in the Holy Spirit, pp. 5-6.
- Life-study of Acts, p. 250.
- The Baptism in the Holy Spirit, p. 11.
- Life-study of Acts, pp. 60-61, 260-261.
- The Baptism in the Holy Spirit, pp. 15, 14.
- The Spirit and the Body, pp. 45-46.
(Lesson Book, Level 3: Two Spirits—Two Spirits - the Divine Spirit and the Human Spirit, Chapter 6, by Witness Lee)