A FEW MATTERS CONCERNING THE CONFERENCE
Because many friends from distant places do not have friends or family in Shanghai to stay with and our place is not the most spacious, there are many things that are lacking. If there is any lack in our hospitality, I ask you ahead of time to forgive us!
With regard to the price of meals, we do not set a price, nor do we determine not to accept money. We only ask for voluntary help according to the ability of the brothers and sisters attending the conference and the Lord’s leading. In this way, he who has much will have no surplus, and the poor will have no lack.
Any brother or sister coming to the conference should please pay attention to the following points:
- We hope that whoever is not clear that he is saved or is saved but does not seek the Lord with hunger and thirst will not come. The nature of our conference is not for the unsaved, nor is it for the undesiring. Please pay attention to this point.
- You must bring your bedding with you (you will need two blankets because Shanghai is very cold), towels, and any other personal thing you must use every day.
- You must take care of your own traveling expenses.
- The dates of the conference are from January 22 to February 1, 1934. Therefore, those attending should come to Shanghai before January 22. Please do not come one or two days after the conference has started.
- Those wishing to attend must answer the following questions and send them to us:
- Do we need to pick you up when you arrive in Shanghai?
- Mailing address?
- Those wishing to come must notify us before January 10, 1934. It is better if you can notify us earlier. Please send your letters to: Mr. Watchman Nee, 28 Wen-teh Lane, Hardoon Road, Shanghai.
- Those who need us to pick them up please pay attention to the following two points:
- If you send a telegram, please send it to: Shanghai P.O. Box 30457. If a person with the last name of Lee is coming by the steamer from T’ai Yuan, please send your telegram as follows: Shanghai P. O. Box 30457, Lee from T’ai Yuan. If a person with the last name of Lee is coming on the 9:27 a.m. train, please send the following telegram: Shanghai P.O. Box 30457, Lee coming on the 9:27 a.m. Whether you are coming by train or by steamer, please send your telegram on the day you set out.
- If you notify us by letter, please send it to: Mr. Watchman Nee, 28 Wen-teh Lane, Hardoon Road, Shanghai. It is best if the letter is sent registered mail or express mail.
- When we pick people up, we have to wait at the train station or steamer dock with a white flag in our hand. If anyone does not meet up with the person sent to meet them, please hire a car and come to Wen-teh Lane yourself according to the road map we have provided at the end.
EXPLANATION OF HOW TO GET TO WEN-TEH LANE,
HARDOON ROAD, SHANGHAI
- For those coming from the train station, after arriving at the station, please hire a rickshaw to Wen-teh Lane. Each rickshaw should cost about forty cents. If there are many people, you can hire a car from the Hsiang Sheng Car Company beside the train station. It costs one dollar for every twenty minutes; then you have to tip them twenty cents in addition.
- For those coming on a steamer, if the steamer is docked on the east side of the Whampoa River, you must give your baggage to the host from the hotel and follow him across the river. If your steamer is docked on the west side of the river, please hire a rickshaw. Each rickshaw costs about forty cents.
- When you hire transportation, say, "To Ai Wen Yi Road, Hardoon Road, Wen-teh Lane." When you come to Hardoon Road, Wen-teh Lane is next to a car repair shop. (See map on the following page.)
(Collected Works of Watchman Nee, The (Set 2) Vol. 25: Collection of Newsletters (1), Chapter 2, by Watchman Nee)